Monday, August 28, 2017

Week 8: Magwinya Ice Cream

Magwinya with blueberry ice cream - Love this Tag photo.  

Sawubona yall!  This week flew by just like the rest and I'm coming up on the end of my first transfer!!  My companion is going home next week so I have to learn the area like the back of my hand.  So I have been driving for the past 2 weeks and it is insane!  The drivers here are crazy and there is no law.  haha but I guess that's okay!

On Monday we went golfing and payed 70 rands for 18 holes which is like 4 bucks. But you get what you pay for because the coarse was basically dirt and the greens havent been cut in a long time.  But it was still fun.  

This week we actually have taught some people that might care!  They seem interested so thats a first! We usually have around 35 people show up to church on Sunday and its a miracle if we get an investigator in there.  Yesterday was the first Sunday in a year for my companion to not pass or bless the sacrament!  So that is huge! 

So they make these really good things called magwinya's and what they are is basically fried bread.  (Like a donuts) Super good.  We had a great idea to make one and hollow it out and put blueberry cheesecake ice-cream in it!  Probably one of the best things I have ever eaten! 

Since I am talking about food, I bought a blender and have been making the best smoothies!

Man I hope home is good and I hope America is doing good.  

Nothing too exciting happened this week.  We got to go to another unveiling which is basically like a farewell.  A lot of food and relaxing. Since its Africa culture there is dancing and rituals.  Everyone passes around qobothi which is African beer and everyone eats with there hands and drinks out of the same bowls.  So like we were sitting down with some babas (dads) eating pap and cow head and drinking some sort of soup out of a bowl. But you just get the idea of being sanitary out of your head and just chow.  We're always laughing with these old guys.  These guys are like 70 years old and literally running around playing tag with each other.  They are chasing each other, yelling zulu,  laughing, and sticking their tongues out.  It kills me.  But another week down.  Hope you all enjoy 
 Sala kahle. (stay well, or goodbye in zulu)
love you all!!

Helping in the kitchen





This is in his laundry area.  Big Black widow

No comments:

Post a Comment